Over the last two years I’ve done computer service in Cadillac, MI to remove the damages done by tech support phone scams. They are very elaborate in how they trick individuals into handing them their credit cards. It’s very important that people become aware of how to recognize tech based fraud. Doing so can prevent vulnerabilities to their sensitive data, and help fight a growing problem that is costing individuals hundreds of dollars for absolutely nothing.
Once a fraudulent tech support company calls you and has access to your computer, they may try to do the following:
- Trick you into installing malicious software that could capture sensitive data, such as online banking user names and passwords. They might also then charge you to remove this software.
- Convince you to visit legitimate websites (like www.ammyy.com) to download software that will allow them to take control of your computer remotely and adjust settings to leave your computer vulnerable.
- Request credit card information so they can bill you for phony services.
- Direct you to fraudulent websites and ask you to enter credit card and other personal or financial information there.
If you’ve already allowed one of these fraudulent tech support companies access to your computer, then it’s important that you do the following:
- Change your computer’s password, change the password on your main email account, and change the password for any financial accounts, especially your bank and credit card.
- Call a local computer service company. If you live near Cadillac, MI you may call Spec Tec Computers at (231) 333-3333 for immediate assistance and same day service.
- Check for unauthorized transactions on your bank statement, and it would be advised to lock your credit/debit card in order to be issued a new one.
Report tech support phone scams through the following means: